Tobacco Free Campus – Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Q: Why did Central decide to make the change to become a tobacco-free campus?
    A: Central wants to lead by example when it comes to health issues like smoking and tobacco use.  Central is also committed to the health and safety of everyone who comes to Central and promoting a tobacco-free environment is a key factor in positively impacting health and safety.
  2. Q: When will Central become a tobacco-free campus?
    A: Central will officially be a tobacco-free campus on Thursday, November 18, 2021.
  3. Q: What kind of tobacco products are covered by the Tobacco-Free Environment Policy?
    A: This policy covers any substance containing tobacco leaf, including but not limited to, cigarettes, pipes, pipe tobacco, hookah tobacco, tobacco substitutes (e.g., clove cigarettes), chewing tobacco, dipping tobacco, cigars, bidis, blunts, or any other preparation of tobacco.  It also includes electronic nicotine delivery systems such as e-cigarettes, e-cigars, e-pipes, e-hookahs, and vape pens. 
  4. Q: Who is covered by this policy?
    A: The policy will apply to anyone that comes to Central’s campuses.  This includes all staff, consumers, students, medical staff, volunteers, vendors, lessees and contractors. 
  5. Q: Will the policy be in effect at all Central locations?
    A: Yes, the policy will be in effect at all locations including 1100 Powell Street, 1109 Dekalb Street, 1201 Dekalb Street, 1211 Dekalb Street, and 1217 Dekalb Street in Norristown.  It will also be in effect at the Abington/Willow Grove location at 2500 Maryland Road.
  6. Q: Will there be a designated smoking and tobacco use area? Will receptacles be provided?
    A: There will not be any designated smoking and tobacco use areas on Central campuses.  Receptacles will not be provided on any Central campus and anyone who wishes to smoke is being advised not to smoke on campus.  Please be mindful and respectful of the properties next to Central campuses.  They are private property.   
  7. Q: What if I have to be at Central from a lengthy period of time?
    A: You may want to speak to your physician about nicotine replacement therapy products, like gum, lozenges, or patches.  These products can help you manage your nicotine cravings while at Central. 
  8. Q: What will happen if I am seen smoking on Central grounds?
    A: Consumers found not following the policy will be informed of the policy and will be asked to stop smoking. 
  9. Q: Where can I find support if I choose to stop smoking?
    A: Please be sure to tell your therapist, doctor, peer specialist, or recovery coach that you have made the decision to stop smoking.  They can provide you with resources that are available to support your decision to quit.  Some available tobacco treatment resources are:
    • PA Free Quitline: The PA Free Quitline is a telephone-based tobacco cessation counseling service offering free coaching.  The program includes trained quit coaches available 24/7, up to 5 free coaching calls, free nicotine replacement therapy if medically eligible, and web-based and text-messaging support.  For more information or to enroll, please contact 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669)/1-800-DEJELO-YA (1-800-335-3569) or visit their website:
    • PA Free Quitline Pregnant & Postpartum Program: Individuals participating in this program can receive up to 9 free, personalized coaching sessions, monetary incentives for each call completed, and free nicotine replacement therapy if medically eligible.  For more information or to enroll, please contact 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669)/1-800-DEJELO-YA (1-800-335-3569) or visit their website:
    • PA My Life, My Quit: The PA My Life, My Quit is a free and confidential service for teens who want help quitting all forms of tobacco including vaping.  Teens participating can receive 5 one-on-one coaching sessions, self-help and educational materials designed for teens, and additional support by phone, text, or online chat.  For more information or to enroll, text “Start my quit” to 36072, call 1-855-891-9989, or visit their website:
    • Local resource – Suburban Community Hospital’s Tobacco Treatment Program: The Tobacco Treatment Program offers evidence-based cessation counseling. Please contact 610-270-8390 for more information.
    • The National Cancer Institute created to help individuals quit smoking.  It offers quizzes, tips, plans, apps, text messaging programs, and other ways to get ready to quit and be smoke-free for good.  For more information, please visit their website:
  10. Q: Where can I learn more about the policy?
    A: More information can be found on Central’s website: